Sunday, April 17, 2011

Calorie Counting Pasta Lovers- Kelp Noodles will save your a***

Who doesn't love pasta? For me the cheesier and the creamier the better. It's just one of those things, it looks good it tastes good, but you feel like crap after eating it. In my world Italian food equals food coma and love handles. Thanks to my willpower and the fact I like to feel great and energized these days, I probably haven't had traditional wheat and cream based pasta since the 90's... Zucchini pasta is extremely healthy, but because of the texture you can't fool yourself that you are eating the real deal.

If you are a pasta lover, but want to try a guilt free/low calorie vegan option, you will love Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles. Kelp noodles are sea vegetable in the form of an easy to eat raw noodle; made of kelp (a sea vegetable), sodium alginate (sodium salt extracted from a brown seaweed), and water. Kelp noodles are fat-free, gluten-free, and very low in carbohydrates and calories; these noodles look and taste like pasta. Kelp offers fantastic support for those looking to control their weight or blood sugar levels.
I got introduced to this amazing sea vegetable by my favorite raw chef Juliano, at Planet Raw in Santa Monica in LA; my all time favorite raw vegan restaurant, which has the most amazing addictive "Cheesy Kelp Noodle" dish on their menu and the infamous LA meets Burning Man meets New Age scene.

I talk, I write, I schmooze, I educate and coach, unfortunately I don't cook... however even I can make some great dishes out of kelp. I soak the noodles in almond milk for 24 hours, warm them up for 5 minutes. With olive oil, Himalayan salt, dill, hemp seeds and cashew cheese I make my own "poor man's version" of the Cheesy Kelp. You can prepare it with tomato sauce or use it in salads. And the best for the last, an entire bag of these kelp noodles contains only 18 calories (yes, the entire bag!).
Order them from Sea Tangle: http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_seatangle_noodles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment