Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Nature's Best Superfood - Hemp Seeds Will Make You Happy And Your Pet Shiny

I love how some of my friends walk into my kitchen(ette) and give me the laugh, the wink or the dirty look... At first I wasn't sure what was the attitude about; I thought I had a long forgotten mummificated animal product stocked on my shelves or some old risque photos on my fridge... until one of them pointed at a big bag of hemp seeds in the corner. 
Until I got accused being a closet  stoner, I didn't realize even the most educated people don't know about the difference between marijuana and hemp seeds. Hemp does come from the same plant as marijuana, so many people associate it with getting stoned, this is just another common misconception. Products made from hemp (the marijuana plant or Cannabis sativa) hit counterculture markets and health food stores nearly a decade ago to a controversial welcome.

Hemp seed is a highly nutritious source of protein, better tasting and more digestible than the soybean.
Hemp has 3 unique nutritional factors. It has an ideal balance of Omega 3 and 6 for sustainable human health, it has a full amino acid spectrum meaning it provides complete protein, and it has a massive trace mineral content - truly one of nature's superfoods. Consumption of hemp oil and hemp seed is ideal for people with low essential fatty acid intake, and also perfect for athletes. It is of course particularly valuable to the vegetarian/vegan population who are always looking for complete protein sources. Other benefits of hemp seed oil include its effect on the skin and the hair, nourishing both on a cellular level.
Hemp seed is an adequate source of calcium and iron. Whole, toasted hemp seeds are also a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, copper and manganese. Hemp contains no gluten and therefore would not trigger symptoms of celiac disease. 

I tried all the different brands on the market; the absolute best quality, tasty and moist hemp seeds are by a vegan organic company called HAPPY HEMP. I love the packaging, I love the website and the company specifically promotes their product edible for pets and their owners. When you see the two doggie "co-owners" Oliver and Moka on their website... you'll know you're getting your hemp from the right place.
http://www.happy-hemp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment