Before you commit to a juice cleanse or quit coffee cold turkey add this morning routine and make it a habit! If there is one thing that I can’t go a day without, it’s a glass of warm lemon water in the morning.
It is beyond amazing what a cup of warm lemon water first thing in the morning can do for your body, your immune system, brain and soul for that matter. Make sure to wait 30 minutes before eating breakfast, as this will ensure your body gets the most energy and nutrients from the food you eat. Use fresh lemons (preferably organic and locally grown) and mineral rich filtered water. Warm water and lemon is a natural energizer. It hydrates and oxygenates the body, leaving it feeling refreshed and revitalized for quite some time. As opposed to coffee, whose effects are short lived.
This cocktail helps to flush away unwanted materials and toxins left from the digestive process. It also boosts energy and improves mood. Lemons also promote clear thinking and help reduce anxiety and depression. It also makes an amazing pre-workout drink.
8 Benefits to Drinking Warm Lemon Water Every Morning
1) Aids Digestion. Lemon juice flushes out unwanted materials and toxins from the body. It encourages the liver to produce bile which is an acid that is required for digestion.
2) Cleanses Your System / is a Diuretic. The citric acid in lemons helps maximize enzyme function, which stimulates the liver and aids in detoxification.
3) Boosts Your Immune System. Lemons are high in vitamin C, which is great for fighting colds. They’re high in potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) found in lemons demonstrates anti-inflammatory effects
4) Balances pH Levels. Lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. Sure, they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they’re alkaline (the citric acid does not create acidity in the body once metabolized).
5) Clears Skin. The vitamin C component as well as other antioxidants helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes and it helps to combat free radical damage. It can be applied directly to scars or age spots to help reduce their appearance.
6) Promotes Healing. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C), found in abundance in lemons, promotes wound healing
7) Hydrates Your Lymph System. Warm water and lemon juice supports the immune system by hydrating and replacing fluids lost by your body.
8) Aids in Weight Loss. Lemons are high in pectin fiber, which helps fight hunger cravings.